Monday, March 21, 2011

What doesn't kill you . . .

Sunday, March 20th

My middle son and I went for a morning run up and down around the hills by our house. Well, I ran and he rode his bike. Total distance was around 2'ish miles. After a little convincing a few blocks in, his whining abated mostly. This got me to thinking again about why people don't exercise. He immediately wanted to stop when his legs felt a little stiff. As a parent, you would either: A)tell him it's ok to stop and teach him to give up when things become even the littlest bit hard, or B)show empathy and understanding, but also encourage him continue on, knowing that the pain will recede and he will feel empowered from his commitment to follow through. The key to wanting to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle maybe resides in both how this event played out when you were young and also, as an adult, how you choose to act. I can honestly tell you that if I didn't have my coach Brian waiting for me at Crossfit, I wouldn't have kept up with the program when I first started. I was intrigued, but unmotivated to exercise. Things have changed for me and I am fully committed to a healthy, very active lifestyle. I love the positive words of encouragement and kicks in the ass that Brian gives to everyone on a daily basis. It is totally him acting as our Crossfit "Dad" telling us to get back on the bike, we're doing great, and we're almost home. Knowing when to push us harder and when to keep us safe. These are things that I will teach my kids. Knowing how to be self-motivated and not give up when things get tough. I love that old saying "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger." And thanks B for kicking this bootie into shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment